Predicted Cost: $ 550K + GST Actual Cost: $460K + GST
Builder: Witbreuk Services Group Completed: January 2016
SCS were engaged to project manage the tender process and construction of a new gym at the Bayview Apartment complex in Port Melbourne as part of a building upgrade. A new gymnasium was designed to be located on the third floor podium level next to the existing pool. SCS were engaged to review the documentation prior to putting the project out to tender, tendering the project, and acting as the Superintendent during construction project. The project specifically required a thorough understanding of the site and construction processes and practices to ensure the integrity of sub levels. The gym was constructed at podium level adjacent to the existing swimming complex and exhaust stack, therefore making access very limited. Works included the installation of the new gymnasium and disabled toilet in the garden of the 3rd floor of an apartment complex to mimic the existing pool. Works included the re-orientation of the air intake for the car park exhaust system, and re-waterproofing of the garden area. SCS was able to help the Client bring the project in on time and on a very tight budget.
Key scope aspects:
- Difficult access;
- Tight budget;
- Innovative solutions during design phase to help reduce construction costs.
Scope of works:
- Managed the capital budget to ensure works were completed in line with approved plan
- Managed the program to ensure works were coordinated and staged as detailed within the project program
- Ensured project was delivered to all end users, in-line with the requirements and expectations
- Ensured the project was managed within an appropriate legislative framework
- Ensured that the project was delivered in a transparent manner, and in consultation with the relevant stakeholders
- Ensured that the full life-cycle costs of the facility were clearly identified, understood, and that options to minimise these costs were accurately costed and considered.